FAIR EMPLOYMENT WEEK 2021
Fair Employment Week is an annual national campaign to raise awareness about precarious employment at post-secondary institutions and support local organizing to improve the working conditions of contract academic staff (see the Canadian Association of University Teachers makeitfair.caut.ca website.)
- Believe a university has a mission for the public good? Then it needs a well-supported complement of securely employed faculty who can exercise their academic freedom.
- Building a university on a foundation of precarity hurts real people and weakens our communities.
- Fair employment is an equity issue, and it is a structural problem that demands a structural solution. Let’s work collectively to set all faculty up for success.
You Can Help – Attend sessions planned during FEW and commit to undertaking at least one action in support.
FEW 2021 Activities
- Drop-In Sessions with the MRFA Contract Member Representative, Brenda Lang
- Session for Lecturers: Monday October 18, 1:00 – 1:50pm
- Session for Lab Instructors: October 19, 2:00 – 2:50pm
- Session for Clinical Instructors: October 21, 10:00 – 10:50am
- Advocacy Committee-sponsored discussion event: Building Solidarity in Opposition to Precarious Employment at MRU
- Thursday, October 21, 12:00 – 1:00pm
- An event for full-time and contract faculty to come together to discuss the issue of precarious employment, how it hurts us all, and what we can do about it collectively
- All MRFA members are invited to attend this important session. Refer to the MRFA Google Calendar for the meeting link.
- CAUT “Zoom social for contract academic staff”
- Friday, October 22 at 12:00pm MT – Register here to attend
- Weeklong screening of the award-winning documentary In Search of Professor Precarious
- Available here from Friday Oct 15 at 4pm (MT) until Sunday Oct 24 at midnight (MT)
What You Can Do to Support Precariously Employed Faculty
We ask that all faculty commit to undertaking at least one of the following actions in support of Fair Employment Week 2021:
- Sign the petition to end precarious employment practices at MRU
- Present this PowerPoint slide prior to start of class
- Display one of the printable office door signs throughout the week
- Wednesday, October 20: Participate in the CAUT “Social Media Day of Action” (details forthcoming)
- MRU contract faculty are urged to “share [their] story” (CAUT initiative)
- Express your support for fair employment at a department meeting, faculty council meeting, etc.
- Share the Association’s daily posts on MRFA social media channels (Twitter and Facebook)
Public Documents and Media
The following documents will all be posted here as they are released/published:
- Press release
- Public letter to MRU President and Board Chair
- Public letter to Minister of Advanced Education
- Expressions of support from SAMRU and MRSA