Professional Development Application Form
PD funds are made available to members in accordance with Article 18 of the Collective Agreement to reimburse expenses related to their responsibilities for teaching, research, professional or general University duties. Members should refer to the application form for more information and contact IT for assistance with computer hardware purchases.
Members’ Eligibility Amounts (per year):
- All Tenured, Tenurable, Conditional Tenurable, Limited-Term members with academic rank, all Full-Time and Limited-Term Laboratory Instructors and all Full-Time and Limited Term Senior Lecturers are eligible to receive $1,500 per year. Chairs, Associate Deans and Academic Directors are eligible for an additional $700 in PD funding per year.
- These members may accrue unspent funds for up to four years.
- Contract faculty members who teach three or more courses (or equivalent) per academic year are eligible for up to $1,200 per year. Requests for funds are honoured on a first come, first served basis.
- Contract members who meet eligibility requirements but see $0.00 in their unspent balance in mymru.ca (under Employee/Leave Balances) should indicate the amount specified in the Collective Agreement as their unspent balance (i.e. $1,200). The unspent balance will only be updated by Payroll after a claim has been made.
- Contract faculty with fixed-term appointments may accrue unspent funds from their annual allocation of $1,100 for up to four years
How to Apply:
Members must verify current available PD funding on mymru.ca (under Employee/Leave Balances) and complete a professional development expense claim form which is to be submitted to Payroll. Contract members who meet eligibility requirements but see $0.00 in their unspent balance in mymru.ca should indicate the amount specified in the Collective Agreement as their unspent balance (i.e. $1,200). The unspent balance will only be updated after a claim has been made.
If you have questions about the PD allocations, please contact the MRFA Administrative Assistant.
Regarding Computer / peripheral device purchases:
There is a new streamlined process allowing faculty to buy from vendors of their choice and take receipts directly to Payroll with their authorized PD Claim form provided faculty members acknowledge the following:
- Warranty and after warranty support is with external vendor purchased from; IT Services technical support is not applicable.
- MRU licensed software inclusive of but not limited to MS Office, McAfee Antivirus, Adobe Acrobat Pro will not be installed on a PD funded computer.
- Computer is intended for home use; MRU network connectivity is limited to wireless access only.
- PD funded computers are not to supplement or replace administrative primary assigned computers.
- PD funds are not authorized for the purchase of peripherals or components intended to be installed in or set up with administrative or student computers.
- PD funds may not be used for the reimbursement of data plans associated with mobility technology.
You may deal directly with Payroll regarding your reimbursement computer purchaces, sign off by IT Services is no longer required.